Blast from the past for my readers, some info on my experience in the 2001 Darwin Beer Can Regatta:
My boat did float and made it out around the course and back a couple of times but we did not come a place.
Though I did WIN:
2001 –Winner Darwin Beer Can Regatta; Best Beer Can Boat (A trophy)
2001 – Winner Darwin Beer Can Regatta; Best Beach Attire (A cheque)
I had the initiative to contact XXXX head office in Brisbane and asked them if they would sponsor my boat and supply me 3,000 sealed cans.
They were happy to do this and freighted the cans in two large boxes to me in Darwin plus supplied some mens XXXX t-shirts, a flag and stickers.
All I had to do then was enclose the cans in chicken fence wire to make my 6 seater catamaran as the cans were sealed.
There were no gluing cans together so I saved heaps of time and knew I would float! (Quite ingenious really!!!)
I and my team of friends had an Absolute ball!!!
THE TEN CAN-MANDMENTS
1. Thou shalt enter the event in the right spirit
2. Thou shalt build the craft of cans.
3. The craft shall float by cans alone.
4. Thou shalt not drown.
5. Thou shalt not take the name of the craft in vain. Any craft bearing signs or lettering that may be offensive will be barred.
6. Thou shalt not drift from the straight and narrow and end up at Mandorah.
7. Thou shalt not protest too much.
8. Thou shall honor thy Committee.
9. Thou shalt not commit adultery – nothing really to do with the Regatta, but it gives us an air of responsibility and respect.
10. Thou shalt go back and read the first can-mandment again.